Tuesday, February 02, 2010

"Palace Theater" 6"x 6"

Oil on Hardboard 6"x 6"
SOLD

I’ve always loved vintage neon signs. They are works of art. A couple of weeks ago I made an early Sunday morning drive into downtown Los Angeles. On Broadway you can find some wonderful examples of theater marquees for the early to mid 1900’s. A few of the theaters are still in use, but most are in pretty bad condition. This is a painting of a portion of the Palace Theater marquee. The theater opened in 1911.

While I was wandering around photographing these great signs I was trying to imagine what Broadway must have been like on a Friday or Saturday night when these theaters were in their glory. Unfortunately this area is very run down now.

This spring I am going to try to get to the Boneyard in Las Vegas. From the pictures I’ve seen it looks like a great place.

7 Comments:

Blogger Paintings by Patricia said...

Wonderful imagery and so much in a small area!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Way cool....

3:58 PM  
Blogger Todd Bonita said...

I think Frank summed it up nicely...way cool!!! A departure subject matter-wise and I'm not suprised you hit it out of the park. That 24x24 from your Jan 26 post is really incredible M. You are clarly enjoying and thriving with this larger scale...Way cool.
Hope you are well,
Todd

5:46 PM  
Blogger John Vander Stelt said...

Really nice job, M. I love the old neon too. The Boneyard looks like a treasure as well. Keep up the great work.

7:31 PM  
Blogger billythekid said...

great work, love the detail.

12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been to the Boneyard in Vegas - it's fantastic.

5:18 AM  
Blogger m collier said...

Thank you everyone for your comments.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home