Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"Eucalyptus" 5.5"x6"

"Eucalyptus" 5.5"x6" Oil on Panel

Last week I spent a few days in the Temescal Valley taking photos for possible landscape paintings. This area of Southern California is covered with large groves of Eucalyptus trees, California Oaks, mountains covered with poppies and large open meadows filled with emerald green vegetation. It’s a perfect place to find inspiration.

I thought it might be interesting to present this painting showing the stages I went through to produce it. This is not my usual painting process but I have wanted to experiment with some different techniques and I thought this little painting would be a good subject. For this painting I tried a more painterly approach. I also did some under painting which is something I never do. I don’t know if I really like doing under painting. Maybe I need to do more to figure that out. Usually I get going with the color right away. But this is just an exercise so I thought I should try. I have a long way to go with landscape paintings but I did enjoy producing this little painting.


A couple of lines to get me going.

Under painting.

Final painting.


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great to see the process you follow, something that fascinates me. and wonderful perspective of final painting. r.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Sadie J. Valeri said...

I love seeing the in-process stages, thanks for sharing them!!

6:00 PM  
Blogger m collier said...

Thanks for the comment Sadie. I’m a frequent visitor to your site. You work is wonderful.

6:06 PM  
Blogger m collier said...

Thanks Rahina. I like seeing the process on blogs too.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Mike Barr said...

Coming from Australia, the gum tree has appeal. Nice feel to the work - uncontrived and brushy. You know even the underpainting could stand alone.
cheers
Mike

10:13 PM  
Blogger Helen Read said...

Thanks for sharing your process. I think the outcome is really nice. I love the sense of atmosphere!

5:56 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Lovely to see your process. I was especially interested to see the tonal depth and variety of the work at the underpainting stage.

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home